Monday, August 5, 2013

Less Reading, More Writing.

So I have to say I am a little disappointed in myself. Why, you ask? Well let me tell you why. It is already August. Ugh which means the summer is starting to come to an end before back to school, or for me back to college and work, and the real world. I just feel like when its summer I can blow things off and do what I want, but during the rest of the year I have to be an adult and crack the whip, and handle my responsibilities. But to answer the question it is because when I get to this point in the summer, I realize I haven't read all the books I wanted to yet. Which then leads me to go on a reading binge. I literally sit and do nothing for days, other than read. Which in turn leads to me neglecting my writing. Now how am I suppose to start a blog, if I can't even bother to put a book down and write a post? How do you fellow authors or book reviewers out there do it? How do you find a balance between reading and writing? If your anything like me a good book series can consume you for days. I always feel the pressure at this point in the summer, because I know I don't have as much time to read during the rest of the year.

I made a goal for 2013, and it was to read 125 books this year. Which basically means I have to get through the majority of them this summer. Hence my MIA. I haven't counted the number up yet, I am a little nervous that I won't be on track. But in the next few days I'll have to buckle down and count how many I've read so far this year. How many books do people usually read in a year anyways? Is my goal to low, to high? I don't really know how I compare to other people. None of my friends are obsessive about reading like I am.

Today I finished the final book in the Blemished series by Sarah Dalton its called The Unleashed. I have a hate love relationship with finishing series. Its like the best feeling in the world but also the worst. Its the best because you finally find out what happens, and you finally know the conclusion and hopefully things worked out the way you wanted. But its the worst because you know its the end of the characters you've grown to love so much. Its an end. You know you'll never get to live moments with those characters again, never relate to them or rout for them. It can be very sad. So when I finish a book series off and I know there isn't going to be another book I almost get a feeling of disappointment. I get so attached to characters that I don't like to see them go. Maybe admitting that I have attachments to fictitious characters makes me crazy, but I thinks that is why I like reading so much. It takes you away to another place, and lets you forget about everything in the real world. If I could make friends with the characters I meet in books I totally would. And it would make me way happier.

So even though I anxiously await the release of books that I love, I also know that once I read them I can't take it back. You can never get the feeling of reading a book for the first time back. Sure you can reread it and get the same emotions, but its never the same as the first time. The first time you do something is always the most exciting.

I guess I'm just one of those NEED TO KNOW NOW people. I cannot wait. I don't care if I stay up for hours to find out the end result. Maybe its something I should work on? Or maybe its just part of who I am.

Anyways I am trying to figure out which book I am going to read tonight. Suggestions? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment